Dragon Fruit - Fruit Plants
Dragon Fruit Botanically known as Hylocereus undatus from the Cactaceae family. Common names are Dragon Fruit, Pitaya, Pitahaya Strawberry Pear. It is a perennial vine and it has triangular green, fleshy, jointed, many-branched stems. The flower is white showy, fragrant, and bell-shaped. It grows best in Humid & warm regions & it requires trellising or chain-like fencing for growing over it. It can be grown in big pots/containers and drought-tolerant plants.
It is an amazing fruit, Juicy and sweet. A popular ingredient for salads and fruit-based dishes. Is a great fruit to eat fresh. It is a climbing terrestrial or epiphytic cactus with fleshy stems that reach lengths of up to 20ft long.
The plant grows out of and over the ground or climbs onto trees using aerial roots.
In full production, plants can have up to 4 - 6 fruiting cycles per year.
Flowers are ornate and beautiful and many related species are grown for ornamental purposes.
MAXIMUM HEIGHT - It can reach up to 4-6 meters in height.
BLOOMING YEAR - It may bloom in May-June, & July-August. Sometimes it may vary based on the climate of a particular area.
FRUITING TIME- Edible fruiting will start after 1.5-2 years after purchase.
GROWING TIPS - It grows best in moist, tropical, or subtropical climates.
- Plants grow quickly and should be given strong support to climb on.
- Grows well in sandy well-drained soils. It is recommended to grow them in soil that is supplemented with high amounts of organic material.
- Do not inter-crop between bigger trees. Does not bear fruit well if grown in shade.
- Keeping many flowers or fruit per stem will adversely affect fruit size. Prune and leave only 2-3 flowers per stem.
- After the fruiting season is over in Oct-Nov prune out the old stems leaving some stems per cluster.
- First-year maintain only one flower per stem to encourage vegetative growth.
- Calcium + boron foliar spray should be given once a month during the fruiting season.
INSIDE THE BOX
|1.||Dragon Fruit plant||0.5-1 Feet Height|
|2.||Growing Pot (Black color)||6 Inch|
*above specifications are for indicative purposes only, actual dimensions may slightly vary.
LIGHT CONDITION - More than 6 hours of Direct Sunlight.
WATERING SCHEDULE - Water when the topsoil(2-3 inches) feels dry to touch. Always maintain moisture near the root zone. It requires less water so do not overwater.
SOIL TYPE - The soil should be well-drained, fertile & rich in organic content.
FERTILIZER APPLICATION - Initially up to 1 year apply any organic fertilizer once a month. After full establishment apply any organic fertilizer(2-3 times in a year) or before the flowering season.
PLANT PROTECTION - Do regular pruning of the plant after completion of every fruiting season. Calcium + boron foliar spray should be given once a month during the fruiting season.
INITIAL CARE FOR 10-15 DAYS JUST AFTER RECEIVING YOUR PLANT
- Remove the Packaging Materials carefully.
- Press the soil in the pot & add additional soil(garden mix) if necessary.
- Maintain moisture in the pot, Do not overwater it may kill your plant, so make sure that the soil should be dry between watering.
- Provide support with stick/moss stick(vine plant) in order to make straight growth, for needed plant only.
- Make sure that plants get enough direct bright light for 10-15 days & do not go for immediate transplanting(minimum 1-2month)
- Just prune if any branch of the plant is get damaged in transit. It happens very rarely.